What Questions Will Help You Initially Screen an Attorney?
Before you set an appointment to meet with an attorney in his/her office, you may want to consider having a short phone consultation to help determine whether the attorney is the right one for you. Some things you should ask in the phone conversation are:
- Does the attorney provide free initial consultation?
- How long has the attorney been practicing law?
- What percentage of his/her cases is similar to your case?
- How many cases like yours has the attorney settled before trial or won verdicts for?
- What type of fee arrangement would the attorney use, such as a flat fee or contingent fee?
- Does he or she have any references from other attorneys and clients?
- Is he/she a member in good standing of the bar association that regulates attorneys in your state?
- Is he/she a member of any legal organizations that specialize in your type of case?